Requests for the use of minibuses should be made using eActivities. This can be done in as far in advance of the booking as needed, through at least three weeks’ notice is suggested. Minibuses are allocated two weeks before the requested bookings are due to commence - requests for minibuses received less than two weeks before the booking is due to commence are allocated on a first come first served basis. Minibus requests for weekend trips or Tours are often allocated three weeks in advance, or even earlier, in order to ease trip and tour planning.
Please note, that you must be a core commitee member - Chair/President, Vice-Chair/President, Treasurer, Secretary or a team Captain in order to request minibuses via eActivities, as your Request constitutes a financial commitment on behalf of your Club, Society or Project.
Virtually all uses of minibuses fall within the ICU Trip Registration Procedures. Please ensure you are aware of the relevant requirements, though the trip leader is responsible for actually carrying out this process. Information can be found within the Trips and Tours booklet available under the training pages.
If you are requesting a minibus for a College department or research group please contact us by email.
Allocation of minibuses
Users may request as many minibuses as they feel they need at the time. Requests are held in the order in which they are received. While every effort will be made to satisfy all requests there are often not enough minibuses available to meet the demand at any given time. If the supply of minibuses in insufficient to meet the request, allocations of minibuses are made according to the following priority order:
- Length of booking. Longer bookings get priority over shorter bookings. This is to try to achieve a higher income from the minibuses and therefore make the charge per hour as small as possible.
- Number of customers that can be accommodated. If it is possible to dovetail multiple bookings for a minibus this will have priority over a single booking. This is to attempt to disappoint the least number of customers.
- Specialist equipment requirements e.g. tow-bars or loading space. The more essential need will gain priority.
- Multiple buses requested by single Club, Society or project for over lapping periods will be booked only if there is still availability for all other requests have been processed. Bookings for weekend and longer periods may be confirmed more than two weeks in advance if they will obviously be at the top of the allocation criteria.
- Request from Clubs, Societies or Projects (regardless of the number of minibuses required at the same time) will be given priority over bookings from Halls of Residence or College Departments
- Requests received less than two weeks before the usage is due to commence will only be accepted if there is availability. Existing bookings are not displaced. These requests are treated on a first come first served basis.