Becoming a Union Approved Driver allows you to drive any of our minibus fleet for your CSP trips, training or competitions. This approval process has no validity if looking to drive elsewhere or hire external vehicles.
To become a Union Approved Driver you must meet the criteria listed in sections one and two. If you pass the licence and driver checks to qualify to become a union approved driver, you will need to complete your theory and practical tests.
Part One - Licence Checks
- Be at least 21 years old
- Have a full UK Driving Licence for at least 2 years with a manual Car category (B) on it
- Be a a current staff member of Imperial College or Imperial College Union or a full member of Imperial College Union (current student).
If you do not meet the hold the above licence, you are unable to drive a minibus and become a Union Approved Driver. If you meet the above criteria, please move onto part two.
Part Two - DVLA Driver Check
- Have you received any endorsements (penalty points) in the last three years? This will be checked through your minibus application via a DVLA check code.
- Have you ever been disqualified from driving?
- Have you had any accidents in the last three years
- Do you have any restrictions on the entitlements on your driving licence?
- Are you over 67 years old?
If you answered ‘No’ to all the questions in Part two, you can start your Minibus Application and begin the minibus testing process.
If you answered ‘yes’ to any question in Section two then your application to become a driver will have to go through a separate process – though you are not automatically excluded from becoming a Union Approved Driver. If this applies to you then please contact us.
If at any time the answers you have given to the above questions in section one or two change then please contact us. This may change your driving status. The operations of the minibus fleet are governed by a main transport policy and an operational document.
Driver Status Expiration
Once you pass your minibus testing and become a fully approved driver, this will entitle you to become a designated