Becoming a Union Approved Driver only entitles someone to drive Imperial College Union minibuses. The approval process has no validity elsewhere.
To become a Union Approved Driver you must meet the criteria listed in sections one and two.
- Be at least 21 years old
- Have a full UK/EU Driving Licence for at least 2 years with a manual Car category (B) on it (to be eligible international licences must have been issued inside the EU)
- Be any of the following:
- A current staff member of Imperial College or Imperial College Union
- A full member of Imperial College Union (current student)
- A life member of Imperial College
- An Associate member of Imperial College Union
If you answered ‘No’ to any part, then you will be unable to become a Union Approved Driver. Otherwise please go to Section two.
Staff members of Imperial College should be aware of the ‘not for hire or reward’ rule regarding driving minibuses while at work. Guidance provided by the College is given on this and can be found online.
- Have you received any endorsements (penalty points) in the last three years?
- Have you ever been disqualified from driving?
- Have you had any accidents in the last three years
- Do you have any restrictions on the entitlements on your driving licence?
- Are you over 67 years old?
If you answered ‘No’ to all the questions in Section two then you can book a Minibus Induction session online.
If you answered ‘yes’ to any question in Section two then your application to become a driver will have to go through a separate process which may involve it being referred to the ICU Executive Committee – though you are not automatically excluded from becoming a Union Approved Driver. If this applies to you then please contact us.
If at any time the answers you have given to the above questions in section one or two change then please contact us. This may change your driving status. The operations of the minibus fleet are governed by a main transport policy and an operational document.