We want you!
- If you have an interest in benefitting Imperial students and learning more about how the Union as a charity is run join other students and the full-time elected officers on the Union's Board of Trustees - the governing body of the Union.
- Develop invaluable skills to increase your employability whilst ensuring students are properly heard and represented by helping to oversee the legal, financial, and strategic direction of the Union.
- Hold the full-time leadership team to account and make sure the Union is moving in the right direction for students!
About the role
The role of the Board is to safeguard and promote the values and mission of Imperial College Union, to determine the strategy and structure of the Union, to ensure the Union operates in an effective responsible and accountable manner and to ensure the effective functioning of the board.
Student Trustees bring current Imperial College student experiences to the Board and are appointed to provide as wide a cross-section of the student population as possible.
- To ensure that the Union pursues its objectives as defined in its governing document and complies with any relevant legislation or regulations, including charity legislation.
- To actively contribute, together with the other trustees, the Officer Team and the Managing Director to the Board of Trustees role and ensuring that the Union has a clear strategic direction that meets the needs of its members and is focused on achieving these.
- To be an ambassador of the Union, safeguarding and developing its reputation and values and represent the Board at functions and meetings as appropriate.
- To be collectively responsible for the actions of the organisation along with other trustees.
- To contribute actively to the Board of Trustees, using any specific skills, knowledge or experience to help the Board reach sound decisions.
- To safeguard the financial stability of the Union and ensure the proper investment of the charity’s funds.
Apply to be a Student Trustee
If you are interested in helping to run your Union, we want to hear from you.
A detailed CV, highlighting your responsibilities and key achievements.
A written submission of no more than two sides of A4 answering these three questions:
- What are the three biggest challenges facing the Union over the next 3 years?
- Choose one Nolan Principle. How do you think it would be relevant to your role as a Trustee at the Union?
- Should the Union reduce the price of food and drinks in 568? What impact do you think this might have?
Interviews will be held between 3:30pm and 5pm on 7th June.