Hey! My name is Fifi and I am your Deputy President (Finance & Services) - also known as DPFS - for the academic year 2019/20.
I was elected by the student body to represent you. The DPFS is reponsible for ensuring the services that are offered by Imperial College Union - from our bars to our two shops - meet the needs of Imperial students. This role also manages the finances of all clubs, societies and projects (CSPs), ensuring they operate safely and effectively.
At the moment, I am the lead for organising Summer Ball 2020. This is an amazing opportunity to work with students and key student stakeholders in ensuring the Ball is the best that it can be. I formed the Summer Ball Committee, with student representatives from the Union Bars, DramSoc and Arts & Entertainments, who have met every Monday evening to give direction and creative input in to how the Summer Ball should be shaped. The most recent achievement is, as a team, we created a budget that was sent to the Board of Trustees for approval and it has been given the green light! More details about the Ball will be revealed soon, so watch this space!
For the first time this year, a Services & Sustainability Board (a sub-committee of Union Council) was approved, which the DPFS chairs. We act as a forum for discussion around services offered by Imperial College Union, and look at how to improve their sustainable impact. Sustainability here involves a balance of financial viability, being environmentally conscious/friendly whilst always holding the student experience and welfare at its centre. As such, this Board (also known as SSB), have decided upon two things this year: improving our stance on environmental sustainability and ensuring the services we offer are inclusive and student friendly (both as users and providers of our services). Where this begins, is we have committed to, year on year, having an overarching project - For People & Planet. Within this project, we shall run campaigns throughout the year. Each year, the new committee of SSB can decide what campaigns they wish to run. Further information can be found here. A Services Working Group has also been created to fully assess what we are doing well and what can be improved upon with regards to Union services. If you have anything you wish to contribute, you may do so here!
I aim to make lasting and sustainable changes across the services we offer students, continuing to develop student experiences and, ultimately, ensure you graduate from Imperial proud of the institute and your Union.
Get in touch
If you have any ideas, any problems, any feedback (be it bad or good) I'm here to talk. Just get in touch by email, twitter, or even drop into the office and I'll do my best to clear some time and talk with you. I'll be doing open sessions around our campuses so look out for when those pop up!
Every Officer Trustee sets several goals at the start of each year – goals they will work towards individually, and ones they will work on achieving collectively. It is worth remembering that alongside our main priorities, we also keep our relevant areas running day to day, and have a number of smaller projects on the go at any one time. We’re always working to try and improve your student experience!
Here are my main priorities for the year:
- Reduction of food and plastic waste in Union outlets and across College
- Work with College to increase dependency on green energy sources beyond just the South Kensington campus
- Run several 'Go Green' campaigns across the year
Progress I've made:
- Discussion of Union-led Green campaigns that can be run across the year at the Services & Sustainability Board, one of which focuses on the reduction of packaging waste
- From October 2019 100 per cent of bought-in electricity on all campuses comes from renewable sources
- Change exisiting Food & Drink policies at Union food outlets, including returning evening food service to h-bar
- Introduce new club and bar nights with a range of drinks deals, including a greater focus on non-alcoholic options
- Improve staff benefits
Progress I've made:
- A consultation survey regarding h-bar evening food service went out to all postgraduates Friday 2nd August 2019! Click here to view the Consultation Report. Currently working with College and the Union to find solutions (both short term and long term) to ensure a genuine food offering can be implemented. A select menu food service at both h-bar and FiveSixEight are expected to return late January 2020, with the intention to move to a fuller menu when feasible.
- Created a Services Working Group to re-assess the policies applicable to student staff in all Union outlets and create a realistic action plan on how staff welfare and benefits can be improved
- Introduce a better variety of options across both Union & College outlets, with regards to healthy food as well as catering to various dietary requirements
- Increased loyalty schemes for purchases
- Improved non-alcoholic options at all bars
Progress I've made:
- Return of food service to Union Outlets - any and all feedback will be welcome with regards to the services and food and drink on offer.
- Working with the Head of Commercial Services on what loyalty schemes can work and are relevant to students
- More student consultation and involvement in decisions that affect you
- Improved first aid and mental first aid training across College
- Create a new student board that enables better transparency and involvement in changes that affect the student body
Progress I've made:
- Summer Ball Committee made up entirely of students to ensure Summer Ball 2020 is an event focused on student experience
- Services & Sustainability Board (SSB) creating an overarching sustainability project - For People & Planet - that several campaigns will be run under.