If you are planning a unique event as a CSP, the Union is here to help!

There are some requirements to register these events so please read this page for all the information you need to run successful and safe events.

Process & Submission Times

Any activity within London which is outside of your annual risk assessment will need:

Some events may need:

  • An Event & Trip Budget on eActitivities (£500+)
  • Supplier contracts and essential documentation
  • A map of the event area and set-up
  • External hire contract (to be attached to the proposal)

You are able to let us know about any recurring dates for repeated activity through our proposal form.

Please adhere to the timeframes below; any submissions for events which are too short notice will be automatically rejected by our system.  

Activity Type 
Submission Time 

Large / Flagship Event

2 months
  • We encourage you to also book a meeting with the Union to advise on any large event planning.
  • E.g. showcases which happen once a year, events of 200+ attendees, events with large amounts of related contracts or significant expenditure, annual conferences and tournaments organised by a CSP.
  • This list is not exhaustive so if you are unsure, please book a meeting or attend a drop in in advance so Activities can advise on submission times.
External Speaker Event 6 weeks
  • This is due to recent changes in legislation and is subject to change depending on OfS guidance.

Union Venues Event

1 month


All Other Activity 

3 weeks


Note that these are absolute minimum submission times but we encourage you to submit your form and risk assessment as far in advance as possible to allow enough time for feedback to be actioned and finances to be processed.  

Dates you propose are preliminary until your event details are confirmed and your risk assessment is marked as reviewed and sufficient. 

We will update you if it is necessary to postpone an event to allow for additional processing time. 

The Union will review your Event Proposal Form and Risk Assessment. We will get back to you to let you know whether your safety controls are enough for the event to go ahead or if it needs further work.

Event organising, especially spending money, should not be done until you have received the final feedback from the Union. 

Event Planning

  • Catering

    Union Spaces  

    • Only food from the Union venues may be consumed within those venues unless permission has been given from the Venues and Activities teams.  

    • For other spaces in the Union building, pre-packaged food which does not need to be temperature controlled may be served. All allergens must be displayed.  

    • No food preparation of any kind may be completed by students.  

    • No external catering is permitted.  

    • Pizza may be allowed if risk assessed appropriately and the food hygiene certificate of the supplier is attached to your event proposal. 

    College Spaces  

    • Only food from College Catering is permitted in these spaces.  

    • CSPs may provide pre-packaged snacks that do not need to be temperature controlled. All allergens must be displayed.  

    • Stalls may sell food from suppliers as long as allergens are displayed and the foods do not need temperature control e.g. baked goods, sweets... The food hygiene certificate of the supplier should be attached to your Stall Proposal.  

    • No food preparation of any kind may be completed by students.  

    • No external catering is permitted. Please contact in exceptional circumstances. Please note that for this option, an External Caterer Notification Form must be submitted to the college at least 21 days prior to the event.  

    Hot drinks are permitted if appropriately covered in your RA and if they are able to be served by just adding water. Hot water urns are available to request through eActivities.  

    Please do not hold events where your food provision is not in line with the above or has not been pre-approved by the Union and/or College. Any financial claims relating to events of this kind will not be accepted. 

  • Alcohol / Licencing

    College Spaces

    • CSPs can only provide alcohol if it’s supplied by College Catering. You cannot provide your own alcohol in College spaces. 

    Union Spaces 

    • Alcohol purchased from an ICU Venue should only be consumed within that venue, and not taken out of the building (other than the seating areas in Beit Quad) or taken to the upper floors, meeting rooms, snooker room, west basement, UCH, UDH etc.
    • Alcohol not purchased from ICU Venues should not be consumed anywhere on Union premises.
    • Any exception to this must be requested, in advance, as part of the space/activity booking process and approved by the Designated Premises Supervisor. 

    Liscensable Activity

    The below are a list of activities in the UCH which require sign off by the DPS in line with the stipulations of the Union liscense:

    • Performance of dance
    • Exhibition of a film
    • Performance of live music
    • Playing of recorded music
    • Anything of a similar description to live music, recorded music or performance of dance
    • Performance of a play
    • Late night refreshment
    • Sale by retail of alcohol

    Special effects will also be discussed with the DPS for sign off.

    You will need to let us know if there will be under 18s attending any events in the Union building. These events should have sign ups and may need security if requested by the DPS.

  • Under 18s
    • If you are delivering teaching sessions for under18s you will need to cover this on your Risk Assessment.
    • Please note there should be no 1-1 supervision and parental consent should be sought where under18s are attending an event.
    • Although DBS checks are not compulsory for this group activity, any participating school should be aware of this and parents should also be notified via consent forms.
    • Please ensure you cover welfare on your risk assessment.
  • External Attendees
    • For any events with external attendees, sign-ups/attendee registration is compulsory. 
    • You should cover this in your risk assessment. 
    • Additionally, for larger events, please ensure you brief attendees on your emergency procedures and fire exits. 
  • Stewards
    • Any events with 100+ attendees must have stewards. These are student volunteers (committee or members) who can act as points of contact for attendees and take responsibility for crowd control. 
    • You should have stewards even if security is employed. 
    • Stewards should be sober for the duration of the event and easily identifiable. 
    • Ensure that you include the role of stewards in maintaining the safety of the event on your risk assessment and brief all stewards on their role and emergency procedures. 
  • Suppliers

    You may choose to contract suppliers to provide services for your event. 

    All suppliers should be noted on your event proposal for approval. 

    Please see some essential requirements for suppliers: 


    • Public Liability Insurance 
    • Food Hygiene Certificate 
    • Risk Assessment & Method Statement 
    • Contract (if applicable, to be signed by the Union) 

    AV Services

    • Public Liability Insurance 
    • Room Plan (if applicable) 
    • Contract (if applicable)
    • Risk Assessment & Method Statement
    • Completed College Induction (if applicable, completed by supplier) 
    • Completed Permit to Work (if applicable, submitted by supplier through College portal) 


    • Public Liability Insurance
    • Contract (if applicable)
  • Contracts
    • Contracts should not not be signed by student groups under any circumstances. 
    • All contracts for events should be attached to the event proposal and will be signed by the relevant member of staff once sufficient reviews have been completed. 
    • If you need to email any contracts to us, please use the address and quote your related event proposal ID. We will add it to your submission for you. 
    • Please note, contracts will need to be reviewed and signed before related finances are approved and this cannot be at short notice. 

Related Processes

  • Union Venues
    • If you would like to host your activity in the Union Venues (Metric, Union Bar, h-bar, Reynolds), you can request a booking through our Event Proposal form.
    • The Activities and Beit events teams will be working together to review your submission so expect to receive feedback on both your risk assessment and the dates and services requested. This feedback may come at different times but your event will not be fully signed off until both are resolved.
    • You will need to submit at least 1month in advance of the dates requested.
    • Please see full details on the Bookable Spaces page.
    • You can also read about the Venues services and their T&Cs here.
  • Stall Bookings
    • For stall bookings throughout the year, please use the Stall Proposal & Booking Form, you do not need to submit a separate room booking for these. 
    • Please attach a risk assessment if you have any activity at your stall or are selling items or providing food (within the guidance above).
    • The spaces available for stalls are the SAF Foyer & Concourse and Sherfield Concourse Lv1&2.
    • The Union will check availability for you however, the space may be out of use if other large events or exams are being hosted in the building at the time.
  • Campus Outdoor Spaces
    • If you would like to host a CSP event outdoors on campus, we have a booking and proposal form for the use of Queens Lawn, Dangoor Plaza & Princes Gardens.
    • This form is reviewed between teams in the College and the Union so must be submitted at least 2 months in advance.
    • We are only able to support a small amount of these events per term so we recommend submitting a term in advance to avoid disappointment.
    • It is also down to the College teams with responsibility for the spaces to sign off on activity that is able to take place there so feedback may include a change in the event plan.
    • You will need to attach an annotated map of your event area and set-up to your proposal: Princes Gardens map & Dangoor Plaza map.

    Please note there are a few restrictions to the outdoor space bookings.

    1. No Alcohol except through College catering & signed off through proposal process.
    2. No use of generators.
    3. No food, unless it’s via the College catering booking, or shop bought pre-packaged.
    4. No temporary structures.
    5. External guests will need to be via invite only and with a 2:1 ratio of 2 Imperial student :1 External guests.
    6. Bookable spaces are only Princes Gardens and Dangoor Plaza (Queens Lawn).
    7. Event proposal to be submitted a term in advance or no less than 2 months.
    8. Events dates to take place during term time.
    9. Events may be rejected if the event quota for this type of booking is reached- this is dependent on team capacity.
  • Internal Events (Great Hall, QTR, SCR)
    • You will need a Great Hall College booking form which is a paper form provided by the Conferences & Events Team at the College.
    • This should be signed by the Fire Office and by the Union.
    • A member of the Activities Team will sign the form once the event has been approved and no earlier.
    • You will need to submit a Union online event proposal form with a risk assessment as usual and within the advertised timeframes.
    • If you are having AV provided by an external company please add a RAMS specific to the Great Hall including a map of the Great Hall, proof of their Public Liability, if you will have haze the external provider will need to submit a 'Permit to work' and complete the external contractor College induction.  
  • Medical Labs
    • For any activity taking place in medical labs, which are not booked through our regular process, CSPs will need to use the Faculty of Medicine Student Room & Events Risk Assessment Template.
    • This should be filled out and attached alongside our event proposal form.
    • The colleague who books rooms and equipment will work with the Union on these submissions so please be patient whilst they contact each student group.
    • If you are running this activity as part of a larger conference or event, please ensure your risk assessment covers this too. 
  • Activity Notification Form
    • A satellite form to the Event Proposal is the Activity Notification & Permit Request Form.
    • The purpose of this form is to notify the Union of any service provision groups may be doing where this is not connected to an event or they are not the primary organiser.
    • This means we are able to be aware of high risk activity, tech provision and services being provided by CSPs and give an oppourtunity for this activity to be attached to a risk assessment where it may not be covered by an Annual Risk Assessment.
    • This can also be submitted if CSPs require a permit to work as the College system is for the use of staff and external contractors.
    • A submission should be made at least 3weeks and advance of the date of activity to allow any review, escalation and submission of PTWs to be undertaken by Union staff if necessary.
    • Please include a specific breakdown of work being undertaken and ensure your risk assessment is task specific.
    • Groups will be contacted upon any submission of permits and upon the outcome so there is no need to follow up on this in between.
    • If you have any questions about this form, please contact