The Government has proposed massive changes to higher education - that could affect everything from tuition fees to research funding.
Jo Johnson MP, Minister for Universities and Science, put forward a Green Paper on Higher Education in November, which prepares for:
- The creation of a Teaching Excellence Framework, which will allow universities to raise tuition fees for British undergraduates
- The introduction of a Grade Point Average system alongside, or in place of, the current 'degree band' system
- The merger of HEFCE, the funding body for universities, and the Office for Fair Access, into a new 'Office for Students'
- New measures applied to students' unions, related to national reforms intended to affect trade unions
- Private education providers to enter the higher education field
- Universities to be made exempt from Freedom of Information requests
As the voice of Imperial students, Imperial College Union will respond to the Government regarding its proposals for higher education. We want to hear from you - to let us know what you think of the proposals,