Planning CSP Events

The Union is here to support and facilitate CSPs to run their events and activities, and a little bit of planning goes a long way to ensure the best experience for your members.  

It is a legal requirement to have all activities recorded and risk assessed, but knowing what groups want to do also allows our staff team to offer you expert advise and support. All Student Group Leaders have a legal duty of care towards their members and a part of meeting this responsibility is ensuring you have followed our Annual Activities Proposal process and our Event and Activity Proposal process. Financial transactions for unregistered events will not be approved and will result in disciplinary action.  

What is the difference between the ‘Annual Activities Form’ and ‘Event and Activity Form’ processes?  

The main difference comes down to how often an activity takes place and the risk profile a CSP has been allocated. 

  • Low Risk Groups: Only need to submit the one annual activity proposal form and an event/activity proposal form with a risk assessment every time they run a one-off event. 

  • Medium and High-Risk Groups: Need to submit one annual activity proposal form with an attached annual risk assessment. And if they run any activity outside of this then they will also need to submit an event/activity proposal form with a risk assessment every time they run a one-off event. 

Why do CSPs need to complete two processes? 

By completing these processes ICU will have the necessary information to support you in organising your activities and events. It is a legal requirement for the Students’ Union to have a list of all activities that it’s CSPs are undertaking as well relevant risk management documentation. 

  • Step 1 - Understand Your Responsibility as an Event Organiser

    All Event Organisers Have Responsibilities Which Include:

    • Notifying The Union - It is a legal requirement for the Union to have a list of all activities and events our CSPs are delivering
    • Event Safety & Risk Assessment - Ensuring the event is safe by completing and acting upon a risk assessment
    • Equality & Diversity - A requirement that Event Organisers discuss equity, diversity and inclusion with regard to event speakers & content as well as planning accessible or welcoming events.
    • Freedom Of Speech - Protect and promote freedom of speech within the law via risk assessment
    • Ensuring Your Activity is delivered lawfully - That there is no Gender Segregation, External Speakers are checked, Film Screenings have licenses etc.
    • Attendees Experience - Is my event for members only, open to Imperial students and staff or even the public?
  • Step 2 - Plan Your Event Idea

    Planning events can take any varying degree of time and energy, but below are some of the important aspects to think about to start planning: 

    • Venue - Where on or off campus do you want to run your event? Do I need to book a room?
    • Time - Have I left enough time to plan this even within all the timelines for Union processes?
    • Costs - How much is it going to cost you to run the event that you want?
    • Safety - How big is the Risk Assessment going to be?
    • Event Content - Such as Activities, Speaking Topics, External Speaker, Film Screenings & much more
    • Attendees - Is my event for members only, open to LSE students and staff or event the public?
    • Safeguarding - Will you be working with children, or will there be under 18's attending your event?
    • Speakers - If your event involves a high profile speaker in a College Space, you will need to allow three weeks before they are approved by College.
    • Additional Services - What else do i need to make this event a success such as catering, security or Audio-Visual?
  • Step 3 – Fill in and submit an Event/Activity Proposal Form

    For all events you need to complete the following:

    Please ensure you have attached a copy of your risk assessment and any other necessary documents in your form. Once submitted, Union Staff will review your form within 10 working days.

    Speakers - If your event involves a high profile speaker in a College Space, you will need to allow three weeks before they are approved by College.

    Please note if you submit this form for an event happening with in less than 15 working days it may not be seen until after your event date. Events taking place without Union approval may incur a strike against the CSPs.

    If you are unsure or need more information on running Union events please contact  

  • Step 4 - Staff Approval

    The Union will review your activity proposal form and risk assessments if necessary. We aim to get back to you within 10 working days of your submission with some feedback. 

    For events that will need the use of Beit venues or special med labs or sports spaces, we will also share your risk assessments with the relevant experts or space owners who will also review your risk assessment to ensure it is ok for use. Please allow 15 working days for the Union to feedback on your proposals. 

    Please plan your event date considering the 10- or 15-day Union response rate. Union feedback may require you to edit your proposal before it can be approved. 

  • Step 5 – Event Organising

    As mentioned above, whether fully approved or provisional there will be more steps you need to take to get your event organised and delivered. Make sure you take these step as your event may not happen or be of the quality your members expect. Some of the things you need to organise are:

    • Arranging Catering
    • Choosing & Booking A Room/Venue
    • Organising security
    • Arranging Audio-Visual(AV)

    Below is an A-Z of processes, procedures and support services linked to events that might help you. 

    If you need any further guidance with running your event, please let us know and we will be happy to help!  

Updated Event Proposal Submission Times
Activity Type 
Submission Time 

Beit Venues Events 

20+ working days 

Bookings are made this far in advance so submit your RA at this point too!  

Guest Speaker Events 

20+ working days 

We must align our process with College Security in case any additional controls need to be put in place. This is subject to change based on new government legislation. 

Conferences (with MDLs) 

20+ working days 

Our colleague who books your MDLs is incredibly busy therefore we ask you to give both her and us ample time to process your forms. 


Conferences are large events with lots of hazards, so it is useful to align your form submission with your room booking so to give both parties maximum time for a response. 

External Hire Events/ Events Relying on Payment 

10+ working days before finances need to be processed 

As we mentioned in a previous newsletter, it is useful to organize your submissions so they are far enough in advance of your finances to be processed and approved

This will reduce hold-ups and rejections based on lack of submission/approval. 


10+ working days 

For any trips relying on payments for certain dates, see the above advice. 

Flagship Events/ Events with Security 

20+ working days / as early as possible! 

Please book a meeting with the Union to catch us up on any plans for your annual flagship events. 

If you have a substantial budget, are working with suppliers, have external attendees, need security and/or are running a high-risk activity, this will be useful for your event planning as well as our processing. We also would just like to keep up to date with all the great events your CSPs run every year! 


10+ working days 

Please see below. 

Other Activity 

10+ working days 

All forms should be submitted at least 10 working days in advance of your activity or they will be automatically rejected/ asked to postpone. 

We aim to get you a response within 10 working days however, this is a first response and you may be given feedback so it is sensible to account for this by submitting further in advance. 

A-Z Guide of Event Support Services, Procedures and Guidance - Coming Soon


Q - Can we have alcohol at our event in a Union or College Space?

A - College spaces – CSPs can only provide alcohol if it’s supplied by College Catering. You cannot provide your own alcohol in College spaces.

Union spaces – Alcohol purchased from an ICU Venue should only be consumed within that venue, and not taken out of the building (other than the seating areas in Beit Quad) or taken to the upper floors, meeting rooms, snooker room, west basement, UCH, UDH etc. Alcohol not purchased from ICU Venues should not be consumed anywhere on Union premises. Any exception to this must be requested, in advance, as part of the space/activity booking process and approved by the Designated Premises Supervisor.

Q - How do I book a stall?

A -  For stall booking please use the Stall Proposal & Booking Form, you do not need to submit a separate room booking for these.

Q - Can we provide food at our events?

A - Union Spaces 

  • Only food from the Union venues may be consumed within those venues unless permission has been given from the Venues and Activities teams. 

  • For other spaces in the Union building, pre-packaged food which does not need to be temperature controlled may be served. All allergens must be displayed. 

  • No food preparation of any kind may be completed by students. 

  • No external catering is permitted. 

  • Pizza may be allowed if risk assessed appropriately and the food hygiene certificate of the supplier is attached to your event proposal. 

College Spaces 

  • Only food from College Catering is permitted in these spaces. 

  • CSPs may provide pre-packaged snacks that do not need to be temperature controlled. All allergens must be displayed. 

  • Stalls may sell food from suppliers as long as allergens are displayed and the foods do not need temperature control e.g. baked goods, sweets... The food hygiene certificate of the supplier should be attached to your Stall Proposal. 

  • No food preparation of any kind may be completed by students. 

  • No external catering is permitted. Please contact in exceptional circumstances. Please note that for this option, an External Caterer Notification Form must be submitted to the college at least 21 days prior to the event. 

Hot drinks are permitted if appropriately covered in your RA and if they are able to be served by just adding water. Hot water urns are available to request through eActivities. 

Please do not hold events where your food provision is not in line with the above or has not been pre-approved by the Union and/or College. Any financial claims relating to events of this kind will not be accepted.


Q - I am booking the Great Hall for an event what do I need? 

A - You will need a Great Hall College booking form. You will need to submit a Union online event proposal form with a risk assessment. If you are having  the AV provided by an external company please add a RAMS specific to the Great Hall including a map of the Great Hall, proof of their Public Liability, if you will have haze the external provider will need to submit a 'Permit to work' and complete the external contractor College induction.