We all have problems and concerns from time to time. It is crucial to your happiness and success at University that you don't let small concerns or issues develop into insurmountable problems. The Advice Centre is here to offer you advice and support on a wide range of issues and to help you make the right choices.
The Advice Centre is here to advocate for you on all the issues mentioned below. The services provided are available to all students at Imperial College. The Union runs the Centre independently of the College, so you can rely on our impartiality and confidentiality. The Student Advisor works closely with the Deputy President (Education), the Deputy President (Welfare) and the Representation Co-ordinator to communicate which issues are frequently affecting students, particularly in regards to problems with their courses and issues relating to postgraduate students.
The student advisor is also available for outreach work and is happy to travel to other outer campuses if necessary to speak to students who need advice.
Some of the areas that the Centre covers include:
- Academic issues Appeals and complaints within your department or generally in the college.
- Accommodation Getting your deposit back, small claims court, repairs, unfair terms within contracts, tenancy agreement checking service and general advice on your housing rights
- Money Advice Write to credit companies to negotiate payment plans, negotiate with college over non payment of fees or accommodation rents, help with looking for extra areas of funding and also offers advice on budgeting
- Employment rights Break entitlement, minimum wage, National Insurance Numbers and bullying and harassment at work
- Consumer Rights Taking products back, internet buying, distance selling and general statutory rights on purchases in any area.
- International Student Issues Homesickness, fees and general and local information.
- Legal Help with any legal situations that students face themselves in such as court summons or any other legal matter
- Also, personal safety, sexual health, alcohol and drug issues.
The Advice Centre has a comprehensive leaflet library which covers areas such as Drugs, Personal Safety and Sexual Health. Also freely available to students are personal attack alarms and condoms.
These pages are aimed to give you some general information on the areas that The Advice Centre covers. If you feel you need more help or information please do not hesitate to contact us.
Make The Advice Centre your first port of call for all your welfare needs.
The Advice Centre is located within the mezzanine level of the Union building.