This summer Imperial College Union are teaming up with the Centre for Academic English (CfAE) to support social events for their Pre-sessional English learners.
For new international students the CfAE offer full-time, intensive courses over the summer to help develop spoken and written English abilities to prepare them for their studies. Learning for these students extends beyond the classroom and sometimes the best way to improve English is through informal, social conversations with others.
This year we are looking to recruit a team of enthusiastic English speakers to help enhance the experience of those students taking the Pre-sessional English course.
You will play a key role in engaging students in the programme's social activities throughout the summer, helping them to discover the local area, adapt to British culture and feel part of the Imperial community. The most important part of your role is to make students feel at ease and grow in confidence when communicating in English. You will be working as a team and with the Social Events Organiser based at the CfAE.
You will be:
- Mixing and socialising with all students, especially those who seem isolated and those who cling to friends from their own country
- Chatting in English about college life, settling in to London, coping with new context and environment
- Conducting games and activities that promote integration, cooperation and conversation
- Assisting the SEO (Chloe) in various ways to prepare and deliver events
- Accompanying small groups of students as part of larger trips
- Following instructions and explaining these to students
- Working as a team to develop activities and provide cover for each other
- Sharing good practice with members of the Social Team to improve activities and increase participation.
When the volunteers will be needed:
- July 3 – August 13 2017
- August 14 – September 22 2017
- Monday 4 September onwards.
You are able to register to volunteer for the July - August or August - September or both.
- 16.15 – 17.30, 2 or 3 afternoons per week
- Saturday mornings
- Occasionally from 6.30pm (eg Friday evening out, Science Museum Lates)
- Occasional weekend trips
We will be holding two briefing sessions to prepare you for your role and give you a chance to get to know your team:
- Thursday 29 June (15:30 - 17:00) - for July starters
- Wednesday 9 August (11:30 - 13:00) - for August starters
Why get involved?
This is a great opportunity to do something different with your summer, whether you are still studying, doing an internship or working or simply looking for something fun to do!
- Make new friends and meet people from around the world
- Help create a friendly and welcoming community
- Gain experience of event planning, team working and develop your own communication skills