Hey! My name is Sam and I am your Deputy President (Finance & Services) - also known as DPFS - for the academic year 2020/21.
I was elected by the student body to represent you. The DPFS is reponsible for ensuring the services that are offered by Imperial College Union - from our bars to our two shops - meet the needs of Imperial students. This role also manages the finances of all clubs, societies and projects (CSPs), ensuring they operate safely and effectively.
Get in touch
If you have any ideas, any problems, any feedback (be it bad or good) I'm here to talk. Just get in touch by email, twitter, or even drop into the office and I'll do my best to clear some time and talk with you. I'll be doing open sessions around our campuses so look out for when those pop up!
Every Officer Trustee sets several goals at the start of each year – goals they will work towards individually, and ones they will work on achieving collectively. It is worth remembering that alongside our main priorities, we also keep our relevant areas running day to day, and have a number of smaller projects on the go at any one time. We’re always working to try and improve your student experience!
Here are my main priorities for the year:
- Conduct a Commercial Services review
- Develop a framework for the use of the Union Building for CSPs
- Review and change CSP processes, policies and services
- Provide a better Union presence/ space on other campuses
- See through the Union Concert Hall Redevelopment Project
Goal 1: Conduct a Commercial Services review
- Realign our services with what students want and need;
- Creating a more sustainable and flexible staffing model, with student-staff at the heart;
- Where possible, bring students on board to help with decision making and the direction of our services;
- User our services to better our Charitable Purpose and support our student groups.
- Conduct a SWOT analysis of our bars and shops;
- Create a Commercial Services strategic plan;
- Create a Venues plan;
- Create a sustainable and flexible staffing model;
- Reviewing our marketing/comms for our services;
- Reviewing our EPOS system & online shop experience;
- Implementing specific Commercial policies (i.e. pricing policies).
Goal 2: Develop a framework for the use of the Union Building for CSPs
- Creating a clear understanding for the Union of our spaces and what they are used for;
- Ensuring our spaces are fit-for-purpose and remain that way going forwards;
- Ultimately, providing a better space for students to enjoy and to make sure they can be used as a tool for student groups to achieve their activities rather than a hinderance.
- Create a suite of Service Level Agreements (SLAs) between the Union and key student groups;
- Implementing an Annual Usage Monitoring plan;
- Engaging in a large student consultation around our spaces;
- Creating Preventive Maintenance Plans (PMPs) for each of our student spaces.
Goal 3: Review and change CSP processes, policies and services
- Lower the number of hoops student groups need to jump through to get things approved;
- Improve the Union's response and lead times for approval and queries.
- Improve our approach to specific processes;
- Introduce key policies;
- Improving approval and query response times;
- Introduce a CRM system for student queries.
Goal 4: Provide a better Union presence/ space on other campuses
- Review the Union's approach to providing support on campuses that are not South Kensington;
- Ensure student groups have support in providing their activities outside of the South Kensington campus;
- Deliver a long-term proposal to take to the College to provide adequate space for the Union and student groups in White City.
- To undergo a review of the support we provide around differenct campuses;
- To create a proposal to take to College to provide adequate space for the Union and student groups in White City.
- To improve support to the Silwood Exec.
Goal 5: See through the Union Concert Hall Redevelopment Project
- To make sure the UCH redevelopment project stays focused towards the needs of current and future students.
- To lead the UCH redevelopment project to its conclusion.