I’m Jagriti, a first-year Medical Biosciences student; a President’s Ambassador and involved in Ask-a-Student scheme, where I chat with international offer-holders about my time at Imperial. Apart from being a sub-committee member of SORA, I also volunteer at the Royal Hospital of Neuro-disabilities. My favourite societies are ICSM Coding and Filmsoc.
If elected as Imperial’s Gender Equality officer for 2019/20, I would use the opportunity to make Imperial a place where everyone feels safe and respected irrespective of their gender, by:
• Setting up an elected gender equality committee of passionate students who will organise events and tackle gender-issues on campus by being a platform for all gender-identifications to raise any safety and respect related issues.
• Increasing the awareness about lesser known genders through events.
• Improving number of gender-neutral toilets across campus, so that students with non-binary identification feel more comfortable. The first one being at the South Kensington Library, with 24/7 access.
• Introducing free female hygiene products in all female toilets.
• Working with WOMENinSTEM@IC to expand outreach beyond Women’s Engineering.
• Promoting Time-for-Talk campaign for men – which will focus on men’s mental health, a topic often ignored in generic Mental health weeks. I wish to invite a male-identifying student to lead this campaign.
I hope you consider voting for me! Regardless of the election outcome, I will continue to fight against inequality both on campus and off, and I encourage every individual to stand up for equality and your beliefs and be an inspiration and a voice to your peers.