Hi, I’m Shervin! I’ve been the RCSU Welfare Officer for two years, working hard to improve the lives of 3,000+ students. As well as giving out masses of condoms at Freshers’ Fairs, I led the student involvement in the faculty personal tutoring review - resulting in compulsory training for tutors - and organised a successful Welfare Week. I also spent a year as a London Nightline Volunteer, dedicating evenings to supporting students and gaining a unique insight into student wellbeing issues. Now I’m running to be your next DPW to realise change across Imperial.
I will consistently champion the needs of the students to College by:
- Lobbying to remove the £95 Disabilities Advisory Service diagnosis cost
- Fighting for subsidies to private therapy while counselling service waiting times reduce
- Consulting you on and reviewing the provision of menstrual products around College
- Expanding LGBT+ Ally Networks to all departments
To ensure the Union maximises its support for students, I will:
- Reform wellbeing rep and liberation officer training to better equip volunteers
- Work with the Felix editor to re-establish the Felix Welfare section, to give students an outlet and raise awareness about welfare topics
- Investigate new pastoral systems for postgraduates, and ensure postgraduate representation at all levels
Having worked closely with previous DPWs, I’ve seen how the introduction of the Wellbeing Representation Network has transformed the role - the next DPW needs to better work with this network to enact change. I’m the candidate with the experience necessary to do this, so #VoteShervIn as your DPW!