Evidence shows that animal agriculture is the leading cause of deforestation, water and land use, species extinction, ocean dead zones, pandemics, antibiotic resistance, animal cruelty and slaughter as well as one of the main causes of global greenhouse emissions. It’s inherent extreme inefficiency to feed grains often imported from poorer countries such as in Africa to animals instead of to people leads to high disparity, hunger and malnutrition (https://awfw.org/). Human rights abuse including slavery is also particularly rife in the industry. Finally, the consumption of these products has been linked to the leading causes of death in the Western world such as cancer, heart disease, stroke and diabetes.
The problem is therefore that Imperial continues to promote the consumption of these products whereas it could take a more active role helping students make better choices.
- Making veggie food more prominent on food displays/menus.
- Subsidize plant-based options for example by using Yoyo points by collaborating with Greening Imperial.
- Meat labelling change-make vegan options the default, and those with meat labelled “meat” instead of the current converse situation.
- Increasing the vegan options and making them more appetizing (changing the suppliers for example tofurky.)
- Making vegan food the default rather than the optional choice in the meal deals.
Support the campaign
If you support the aims and objectives of the 50 by 2020 campaign, show your support below!
Choose whether you simply want to show support for the campaign, be kept up to date on the progress or if you want to join the team and take action to create change.
Log in to the website using your College details to complete the form. Your responses will be shared with the campaign team and will be deleted after the campaign is completed.