Having represented the students of the Faculty of Engineering since the start of my career at Imperial, first as an Academic Rep and now as the Engineering Faculty Rep/CGCU Education Officer, I am extremely familiar with the frustration students have in feeling like their voices don't really matter to the Union. I am here to change that.
As the Faculty and Academic Rep, I have:
- held a successful inaugural Town Hall to push forward student enfranchisement and transparency of Union roles
- been in contact with the Departmental Reps of all 8 engineering departments for a depictive overview of all 4,200 engineering students
- open the conversation on the inadequate structure of rep support with both the previous and current Deputy President of Education
- liaised with senior staff members on behalf of the students about academic and timetabling issues
As the Council Representative, I will:
- ensure the response from the Union to the College subsequent to the National Student Survey is followed through
- increase the transparency of all Union decisions so YOU can be the judge as to whether there was enough student consultation
- make sure the exceedingly high Union staff turnover rate (~30%) will not hinder the implementation of positive policies
- conserve Constituent Union representation and therefore YOUR representation within the Union
If you truly want your voice heard at the governance level of Imperial College Union; if you want to see changes that will actually matter to you; vote for me, Hayley Wong, as your representative to the Union Council.