College Department Bookings

College Minibus Users FAQ’s:

How do I hire a minibus?

You can hire a minibus by contacting the Student Activities Administrator or Note: Research groups can only book a minibus with the permission of their supervisor and an agreement from the department to raise a purchase order on their behalf.

How do I pay for minibus hire?

Payment is made by purchase order (often from the department administrator). The Union will need the pdf of the purchase order to allow us to upload it to our system and generate a sales invoice.

How do I alter or cancel a booking?

In order to alter or cancel a booking you will need to e mail/call the Student Activities Assistant. If at all possible we will accommodate requests to alter bookings (including switching vehicles and timings). If you are cancelling your booking please be aware of our cancellation policy (found in the driving manual at and note that if the cancellation is short notice and we cannot re-allocate your vehicle you may still be charged.

How do I collect/return the minibus keys?

You will need to collect your keys from the Student Activities Centre (SAC) at Imperial College Union, Beit Quadrangle. The SAC is open 10am-6pm Monday to Friday. If you are travelling at the weekend you will need to collect your key the Friday before the trip and return them the following Monday.

What do I do if I have an issue with the vehicle?

If you find you have an issue with the vehicle whilst still on campus, please return to the Student Activities Centre and we will try to find an alternative vehicle. If you have an issue with a vehicle whilst on your trip, there is an RAC card in the front of every minibus and the whole fleet is covered by the RAC breakdown policy.

How do I fill up the tank?

Minibuses must be returned with a full tank of diesel. There is a fuel card in every minibus, that can be used to fill up and the cost will be charged to the booker later.  

How do I become a driver?

In order to become a Union approved driver you must check your validity to drive at and then arrange a time to take a test with the Student Activities Assistant. There is both a theory and practical session that must be completed to a satisfactory level.

More Questions?

Please take a look at our Minibus Driving Manual at for further advice and information.