You can find workshops and sign up via the What's On calendar
In the 2018/19 academic year, the workshops delivered are:
- Annual Budgeting
- Club Finance
- Creating Inclusive Environments
- Exploring Sponsorship
- Project & Events Management
- Safety & Risk Management
- Trips & Tours
This interactive workshop will help you to understand best practice for writing a successful Annual Budget for your Club, Society or Project. We’ll be looking at:
- The annual budgeting process
- The key components of an annual budget
- Factors influencing the allocation of Union grant funding
- How to submit your budget via eActivities
This workshop is beneficial for Presidents, Club Captains and Treasurers
This interactive workshop will help you to understand Union financial transactions and how to effectively manage club money. We’ll be looking at:
- Understanding the procedures for paying money in, specifically:
- Selling products online via the Union shop
- Raising a Sales Invoice
- Using paying in slips
- Understanding how to pay money out of your account, specifically:
- Raising a Purchase Order (PO)
- Processing expenses claims for your members
- Understanding VAT and how it impacts your Club, Society or Project
This workshop is beneficial for Presidents, Club Captains, Treasurers, and individuals who organise events and want to get the most out of their club finances.
Equally, this workshop will be helpful to anyone who wants to understand industry-standard financial processes e.g. POs and invoicing.
This interactive workshop will help you understand how to embed inclusivity in everything you do as a Club, Society or a Project. We’ll be looking at:
- Unconscious bias, and how it can be challenged.
- Recognising practices that marginalise or exclude people.
- Identifying and valuing the skills of a diversity of student within your group.
- Creating a plan of specific steps you can take to ensure your Club, Society or a Project is inclusive.
This workshop is relevant and beneficial to any committee member and is aligned with our inclusive and democratic values. This workshop will be of further benefit to you as a student, an individual, and responsible citizen.
This interactive workshop will help you to explore sponsorship as an option for your Club, Society or Project. We’ll be looking at:
- Learning how to get to know your membership and your worth as a CSP
- Understanding the relationship with your sponsor and boundaries
- The resources available
- The sponsorship process and timescales
- Creating a draft sponsorship pack for your CSP
This workshop is beneficial for Presidents, Club Captains, Treasurers, and committee members responsible for seeking sponsorship or additional income.
This interactive workshop will help you deliver your projects and events successfully, according to best practice within the field of Project Management. We’ll be looking at:
- Different stages of planning and delivering a project.
- Project management tools.
- Assessing the benefit of contingency planning and evaluating project success.
- Practicing problem solving using tested methodologies.
- Assessing your individual strengths and weaknesses in time management and review tools to prioritise tasks.
This workshop is particularly of benefit to committee members who organise events, and large and/or complex projects.
Equally the workshop is helpful for anyone who wants support in managing your role with your academic priorities.
This interactive workshop will help you to understand your key responsibilities and the Duty of Care you hold to your members as a club officer. We’ll be looking at:
- Financial Responsibility and its implications
- Risks to your members and how to mitigate them
- How to write an effective Risk Assessment and Contingency plan
- Handling your members’ data in line with new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)
This workshop is beneficial for Presidents, Club Captains, Secretaries, individuals who organise events, and those that handle member data.
This workshop will help you to understand best practice for planning a successful Trip or Tour for your Club, Society or Project. We’ll be looking at:
- The difference between a ‘trip’ and a ‘tour’
- The eligibility criteria for tour funding
- The logistics of planning a successful trip or tour
- The necessary safety considerations specific to trips and tours
- How best to respond to a minor and major incident
- Contingency planning
This workshop is beneficial for Presidents, Club Captains, Treasurers, and Tour Secretaries and committee members responsible for planning and leading Trips and/or Tours.
Workshops are open to all Club, Society & Project committee officers, however the table below sets out the recommended training for each role. This matrix is by no way an exhaustive list.
Creating Inclusive Environments
Project & Events Management
Safety & Risk Management
Trips & Tours